The Oculus & IndieCade VR Jam starts this Friday 2nd August 2013, and we’re super excited to see what Perth developers create for it. From the official website:
We’re thrilled to announce VR Jam, a long-format, worldwide game jam presented by Oculus and IndieCade. We’re putting up over $50,000 in prizes and a showcase exhibition at IndieCade Festival 2013 for the best VR games and experiences!
Ever since the VR Jam was announced last week, we’ve been working on getting a Perth site up and running. We’ve been blown away by the level of interest and support, and are very happy to announce that we will be serving as a “Playtest Hub” where participants can share and playtest their games on an Oculus Rift VR headset.
Update: Added flyer! Click the image to download a print-ready version. Thanks to Rich for putting this together.
In additional to the demonstration unit provided by Oculus and IndieCade, we expect to have another 5-7 Oculus Rifts and a whole boatload of other devices including: Microsoft Kinect cameras, Leap Motion sensors, Razer Hydra motion sensing controllers, and possibly even a couple of Cyberbikes hooked up.
Details for the Perth Hub:
- Dates: 3 August 2013 – 24 August 2013
- Location: 816 Hay Street, Perth (Upstairs and to the right)
- Opening Hours: Open to developers every Monday to Friday between 10:00am and 4:00pm. Public demonstrations every Saturday between 1:00pm and 3:00pm.
- Contact: Via our online form or email to
- RSVP: Please join us on the VRJam Perth Facebook event page.
Note: We can be open via appointment at other times, so please contact us if you want to organise access outside of these hours.
- Games must be explicitly designed for virtual reality using the Oculus Rift and SDK.
- Games must be expressly developed for the competition.
- All games should be playable using an Oculus Rift with a keyboard/mouse or XInput-compatible gamepad (e.g. Xbox controller).
A huge thanks to our current supporters and sponsors: Oculus and IndieCade for running the global event and supporting us to become a Playtest Hub; Gresley Abas for providing a venue for the entire 3 weeks of the Jam; Savage Cabbage for their help in testing Internet connectivity and networking; and to all the volunteers who have committed their time to help facilitate this event.
That’s it for now. We’ll post a print-ready flyer later today. We’re still looking for a wireless internet sponsor, prize sponsors, and more volunteers to spread the word around so contact us if you can help out. Media inquiries are also very welcome!
Update: A huge thanks to Red Griffin Games who have come on as a prize sponsor. They’re just down the street from the jam site, so be sure to stop by and say “thanks!”.