“Let’s Make Games” is an initiative to foster the growing game development community and industry in Perth, Western Australia.
The Perth game development scene has come a long way in the last few years. Here are a just few highlights:
- Interzone Entertainment setup a local development studio with over 40 employees
- The Perth Independent Game Makers’ Initiative (PIGMI) was created and provides a popular mailing list for local game developers
- A local chapter of the International Game Developers Association (IGDA) was setup and has run a number of events
- Local Game Jams started and have been seen high participation and resulted in some excellent games
- Perth was the only Australian city to participate in the first ever Global Game Jam
- Locally developed iPhone title Spinfast Cricket became the #1 iPhone game in Australia.
- The first Perth-developed MMO (Interzone Futebol) is entering Australian Closed Beta (hosted from Perth)
At Let’s Make Games, we want to do whatever we can to ensure that the local industry continues to grow and innovate. These are exciting and fun times!
Let’s Make Games is a OneTwenty initiative. Please let us know what you would like to see happen here in Perth!
Update: I forgot to thank Simon for the awesome Let’s Make Games logo. Good stuff!
Update: Added reference to Spinfast Cricket. No more updates to this post though, look out for the upcoming Industry Profile.