Viet and Jon have been hard at work creating the festival program, with details on all of the panels, developers and goings-on for Saturday. There’ll be print versions available on the day, but for now you can feast your eyes on the visual digital delight for download right here.
As game developers, many of us have a lot to say! So in order to help get rid of this excess opinion, we’re hosting a bunch of panel discussions at the Perth Games Festival. If you want to find out how to make games, what games you could be playing with your kids, or how girls are rocking the games and tech scene, be sure to make the following times in the supper room at the festival.
- 11:00am – Girls Make Games+Tech
Are you interested in making tech or creating games? A parent who would like to know more about what your daughter could do in the games and tech area? Or do you have stories from the field you’d like to share? Join Daniela Mattheys, Dr. Kate Raynes-Goldie and Karen de San Miguel as they discuss their careers, useful resources and what you can do to get involved or supported as a woman in games and technology.
- Daniela Mattheys (Panel Chair), Chair of the Women in Technology WA Techtrails and the Director of Edoceo Futures.
- Dr. Kate Raynes-Goldie, Director of Games and Interactive at FTI and Founder and Creative Director of Games We Play.
- Karen de San Miguel, Co-ordinator of CoderDojo WA, supporting free computer programming clubs for young people aged 7-17.
- 1:00pm – Parents & Gaming
We all love gaming, and playing games with our kids can be quite a lot of fun. But what games (digital or otherwise) could you be playing with your kids? What should you look out for when choosing a game? And just when should they start playing Catan instead of Monopoly? Join Dr. Glen Spoors, Anthony Sweet and Mike Browner for a discussion on all of the above and more.
- Anthony Sweet (Panel Chair) – Game designer, General Manager of Let’s Make Games, Writer and Parent.
- Dr. Glen Spoors – Game Designer, Writer and Lecturer at Edith Cowan University.
- Mike Browner – Battle-worn Game Store Manager and previous President of Wai-Con.
- 2:30pm – Getting Started Making Games
Games are easier than ever to create; both kids and professional developers make games because it’s fun! There’s no reason why you can’t make games regardless of what you’re doing. Jon Hayward, Wez Lamont, Megan Campbell and Matt Dyet will discuss the tools, tips and techniques to create games both in and away from the computer. All you need to start is a pen and your imagination.
- Jon Hayward (Panel Chair) – Producer at Developers at Large, EIC of Anime News Network Australia.
- Wesley Lamont – Game designer, creator of the board game COGZ and all round mad genius.
- Megan Campbell – Game designer at SK Games.
- Matt Dyet – Producer, Game and graphic designer with Developers at Large